Re: X window problem

 Lu> On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Brandon Mitchell wrote:

 >> run this after changing environments (i.e. changing to su): export
 >> DISPLAY=localhost:0.0 (note: bash specific, csh uses "setenv
 >> DISPLAY localhost:0.0") If this still fails, run "xhost +" and
 >> read the man page on xhost to find the correct setting later.
 >>
 >> HTH, Brandon
 >>
 >> On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Lu Jimmy Chenji wrote:
 >>
 >> > Hi ALL, I installed X recently in my PC and having problem under
 >> perticular situation. When I logged in as root or normal user, I
 >> can run X window programs, e.g. xclock, oclock, xman, etc.  But
 >> when I logged in as normal user and then logged in as super user
 >> then I cannot run X window programs. When I try to run xclock for
 >> example, I will get the following messages: Xlib: connection to
 >> ":0.0" refused by server Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect
 >> to Server Error: Can't open display: :0.0 I got some messages in
 >> /var/log/xdm-errors as well: 385 X: client 5 rejected from local
 >> host X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server
 >> shutdown). PEX extension module not loaded XIE extension module
 >> not loaded Please help.  Thanks in advance.

 Lu> After I execute "export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0", I got the same
 Lu> errors. I can't run "xhost +" because under superuser X Window
 Lu> program won't work.

 Lu> I appreciate any comments.  Thanks.

I'm not sure exactly what you are saying here, but if I have a window
open where I am root I can not open windows unless I do one of two
things:

1)  do 'xhost +localhost' (not in the root window, but in another
    window)

2) If I am using XAUTH style authorization I can do
   'XAUTH=/patch/to/user/.Xauthority <program to run>' and that will
   work (because of course root can access the authority file).

Does this answer the question?

Jim

--
@James LewisMoss                 | moss@cs.sc.edu | Blessed Be!