Re: X window problem

On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Lu Jimmy Chenji wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Brandon Mitchell wrote:
>
> > run this after changing environments (i.e. changing to su):
> > 	export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
> > (note: bash specific, csh uses "setenv DISPLAY localhost:0.0")
> > If this still fails, run "xhost +" and read the man page on xhost to find
> > the correct setting later.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Brandon
> >
> > On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Lu Jimmy Chenji wrote:
> >
> > > Hi ALL,
> > >
> > > I installed X recently in my PC and having problem under perticular
> > > situation.
> > > When I logged in as root or normal user, I can run X window programs,
> > > e.g. xclock, oclock, xman, etc.  But when I logged in as normal user
> > > and then logged in as super user then I cannot run X window programs
This is a very strange problem if I understand you correctly. If you login
as root or as a normal user, you can run X fine. But if you login as a
normal user then as root you can no longer start X??? Why would subsequent
logins to your machine (I'm assuming from the console) alter the ability
of your superuser priviliges? I would suggest looking for the s flag in
your XF86 server, but the way you describe your problem makes it seem very
peculiar. Perhaps your /dev/console as weird permissions? You'll have to
be a bit more clear on what exactly you are doing. Are you issuing an su
as a normal user and then it doesn't work? And if you're running xdm,
are you doing the same exact thing, i.e. running root, logging out, then
user then root and it fails? Perhaps you should issue a whoami. As root,
you should be able to run anything as long as the permissions are kosher.