Current rescue disk will not boot a Thinkpad 365X

I tried to install Debian on a friend's Thinkpad 365X, and it gets to
the Loading.... stage and then locks up.  I've tried the
"floppy=thinkpad" option at the boot prompt with no effect.

I found someone else had asked about this on the list, and there was
no definitive answer.  Also there were a number of questions on usenet
about this.  The only solution mentioned was to use the Debian-1.1,
Slackware, or RedHat boot disks, but I wanted to do an unstable
install.  Any other ideas?

Thanks
--
Rob