Re: Making kernel using "make install"

Victor Torrico wrote:

> When making a kernel 2.0.27 I do the following:
[clumsy procedure deleted]

Actually, on Debian it´s so much nicer to install the kernel-package
package.
Then you cd to the linux source, "make mrproper" and "make config" just
once, and then you can always rebuild your kernel by running
"make-kpkg binary". This´ll give you a new kernel package that contains
all you need. "dpkg --install" it, and so even your Debian system knows
which kernel you´re using.

By the way, if you´ve been looking at the docs, ever tried "make
menuconfig"
or "make xconfig"? Those make it much easier to configure your custom
kernel - no more mistyping!

> The "make install" is not documented in the "/usr/src/linux" directory
> as far as I know but when it is used it seems to put everything from the
> new kernel where it belongs properly in the "/boot" directory and lets
> you update lilo as well. I just tried doing this for the hell of it and
> it seems to work very well.

> Is this a new feature?

> What exactly does "make install" do?

Read the fine Makefile :-) As far as I´ve been able to follow it, it
uses
a user-supplied script to install the kernel. Guess what, it´s part of
the
Debian distribution. Still, kernel-package is the way to go.

Ciao,
--
Thomas Baetzler, thb@regioservice.de, thb@spectre.ka.sub.org
   <A HREF="http://home.pages.de/~thb/";>thb's Homepage</A>

--
This message was delayed because the list mail delivery agent was down.