Re: Making kernel using "make install"

Regarding compiling and installing new kernels,

On 17 Jan 1997, Guy Maor wrote:

> Victor Torrico <vtorrico@cfw.com> writes:
>
> > What exactly does "make install" do?
>
> See installkernel(8) and mkboot(8).

Hey, this is not a very elaborate answer.

I would like to know more about details of installing new (and older)
kernels and have an overview of the process as well. IMHO this is
something that is not quite exhausively covered in the documentation.

And yes, I did read the lot in the source tree, which is great literature
when your kernel won't boot because your XYZ scsi-tape won't bargain with
the interface on your DEF souncard because it has the kind of obsolete
456PQ123 chip, so you'll have to hack the source a bit.

I also read "Running Linux" and "Raven" and I think they're great for
everyone who wants to get an overview of linux, especially newbies. But
when compiling kernels is addressed, they only tell you to do make this,
make that. There's hardly any documentation of what the makefile does, is
supposed to do and can do for you.

Of course, there's the kernel-HOWTO and it is very good where it makes
configuring a new kernel very easy, explains a lot about what the kernel
does, how it handles devices, what modules are, where to get the source,
how to patch it, etc.. But when it comes down to the final part:
installing the kernel, there's not much more than a reference to the lilo
manual. I would really like to see some additions made about how the
kernel is (or kernels are) embedded in the filesystem.

IMHO installkernel(8) and mkboot(8) and are not good enough as the only
reference to the install option of the kernel make. The process of
installing a new kernal is much to fundamental to linux to be documented
only in the huge lilo documentation or the kernel hacking guide.

Joost