Making kernel using "make install"

When making a kernel 2.0.27 I do the following:

make mrproper
make config
make dep
make clean
make zImage
make modules
make modules_install
make install

The "make install" is not documented in the "/usr/src/linux" directory
as far as I know but when it is used it seems to put everything from the
new kernel where it belongs properly in the "/boot" directory and lets
you update lilo as well. I just tried doing this for the hell of it and
it seems to work very well.

Is this a new feature?

Is it OK to do this or are there possible problems?

What exactly does "make install" do?

Victor Torrico