Re: Two last problems...

On Fri, 17 Jan 1997, Daniel S. Barclay wrote:

> > > The first problem is that syslogd is keeping the load on my machine at
> > > 1.0 even if nothin else is happenning with the system.  At the same time
> > > I get huge numbers of 'The last message repeated 123456 times' appearing
> > > in /var/log/messages'  Is there a way to get syslogd to work correctly?
> > This happens when one of the directories listed in /etc/syslog.conf
> > doesn't exist.  /var/log/news is usually the culprit.
>
> Workarounds are fine, but would someone _please_ report this as a bug so
> it can get fixed permanently?

Are you allergic to bug reports?

Actually, it probably isn't safe for a script to remove these lines, as
they might break something else which references them.  Syslogd.conf is a
fantastic traffic cop, but it can't do its job unless the right entries
remain in the file.

  --Pete
Peter J. Templin, Jr.                   Client Services Analyst
Computer & Communication Services       tel: (717) 524-1590
Bucknell University			templin@bucknell.edu

--
This message was delayed because the list mail delivery agent was down.