Re: Making kernel using "make install"

> On Fri, 17 Jan 1997, Victor Torrico wrote:
>
> > When making a kernel 2.0.27 I do the following:
> >
> > make mrproper
> > make config
> > make dep
> > make clean
> > make zImage
> > make modules
> > make modules_install
> > make install
> >
> > The "make install" is not documented in the "/usr/src/linux" directory
> > as far as I know but when it is used it seems to put everything from the
> > new kernel where it belongs properly in the "/boot" directory and lets
> > you update lilo as well. I just tried doing this for the hell of it and
> > it seems to work very well.
>
> Ah-hah!  Finally, what seems to be a simple sequence of commands for
> building a new kernel.  But what must I do to ensure that my old kernel
> will continue to work (with its modules), especially if lilo wants to
> complain that the new kernel is too large?  I assume that certain files
> and directories ought to be backed up or renamed or something, but some
> pointers to "safe" kernel testing would be very helpful!

What I do when I want to upgrade my kernel (which I will be doing later
today... 2.0.28 is out) is something like this (assuming that
linux-2.0.28.tar.gz is already in /var/tmp, but it could be anywhere,
really):

tar xzvf linux-2.0.28.tar.gz
cd linux
cp /usr/src/linux/.config .
make-kpkg -revision custom.1.0 kernel_image kernel_source
cd ..
# rm -rf linux linux-2.0.28.tar.gz
dpkg --install kernel-image-2.0.28_custom.1.0_i386.deb
dpkg --install kernel-source-2.0.28_custom.1.0_i386.deb
dpkg --remove kernel-source-2.0.27_custom.1.0_i386.deb
dpkg --remove kernel-image-2.0.26_custom.1.0_i386.deb

and that's it.  My /etc/lilo.conf has entries for /vmlinux and
/vmlinux.old, which are symbolic links that the post-install script for
the kernel-image package maintain properly (and reruns lilo as well).  I
keep one set of installed kernel sources and two installed kernel
images.  All you need for this is to install the kernel-package package,
and it should work.

Read the docs in /usr/doc/kernel-package for more information.

>   --Pete

     Buddha Buck                      bmbuck@acsu.buffalo.edu
"Just as the strength of the Internet is chaos, so the strength of our
liberty depends upon the chaos and cacaphony of the unfettered speech
the First Amendment protects."  -- A.L.A. v. U.S. Dept. of Justice