Re: Making kernel using "make install"

Pete Templin wrote:

> Ah-hah!  Finally, what seems to be a simple sequence of commands for
> building a new kernel.  But what must I do to ensure that my old kernel
> will continue to work (with its modules), especially if lilo wants to
> complain that the new kernel is too large?  I assume that certain files
> and directories ought to be backed up or renamed or something, but some
> pointers to "safe" kernel testing would be very helpful!

If you have problems with Lilo and large Kernels, you can always use
"make bzlilo" instead of "make zlilo". By default, the kernel
installation
will move your old kernel and System.map to *.old. All you need to do to
be
able to boot into the previous kernel would be to add a boot entry in
/etc/lilo.conf. Or you could just cp your stable kernel and the
accompanying
map to *.stable, and then add an entry for that.

Ciao,
--
Thomas Baetzler, thb@regioservice.de, thb@spectre.ka.sub.org
   <A HREF="http://home.pages.de/~thb/";>thb's Homepage</A>

--
This message was delayed because the list mail delivery agent was down.