Re: Making kernel using "make install"

On Fri, 17 Jan 1997, Victor Torrico wrote:

> When making a kernel 2.0.27 I do the following:
> make mrproper
> make config
> make dep
> make clean
> make zImage
> make modules
> make modules_install
> make install
> The "make install" is not documented in the "/usr/src/linux" directory
> as far as I know but when it is used it seems to put everything from the
> new kernel where it belongs properly in the "/boot" directory and lets
> you update lilo as well. I just tried doing this for the hell of it and
> it seems to work very well.

Ah-hah!  Finally, what seems to be a simple sequence of commands for
building a new kernel.  But what must I do to ensure that my old kernel
will continue to work (with its modules), especially if lilo wants to
complain that the new kernel is too large?  I assume that certain files
and directories ought to be backed up or renamed or something, but some
pointers to "safe" kernel testing would be very helpful!

Peter J. Templin, Jr.                   Client Services Analyst
Computer & Communication Services       tel: (717) 524-1590
Bucknell University			templin@bucknell.edu