Re: Making kernel using "make install"

On Fri, 17 Jan 1997, Victor Torrico wrote:

> When making a kernel 2.0.27 I do the following:
>
> make mrproper
> make config
> make dep
> make clean
> make zImage
> make modules
> make modules_install
> make install
>
> The "make install" is not documented in the "/usr/src/linux" directory
> as far as I know but when it is used it seems to put everything from the
> new kernel where it belongs properly in the "/boot" directory and lets
> you update lilo as well. I just tried doing this for the hell of it and
> it seems to work very well.

Ah-hah!  Finally, what seems to be a simple sequence of commands for
building a new kernel.  But what must I do to ensure that my old kernel
will continue to work (with its modules), especially if lilo wants to
complain that the new kernel is too large?  I assume that certain files
and directories ought to be backed up or renamed or something, but some
pointers to "safe" kernel testing would be very helpful!

  --Pete