Re: debian sendmail

Timothy,

On Jan 7,  3:37pm, Timothy Phan wrote:
> Subject: debian sendmail
> Hi,
>
>   Can anyone here tell me why the
>     sendmail -bd -q90m
>   take about 1 to 2 minutes to complete?  Did I not specify
>   hostname/NIS/whatnot correctly, or something?

Sendmail is trying to get the full DNS name of your machine.

The usual problem is caused by having /etc/hosts lines like:
10.20.30.40		myhost

or
10.20.30.40		myhost	myhost.my.dom.ain

rather than
10.20.30.40		myhost.my.dom.ain	myhost

The first two lines are telling network software, such as sendmail,
that your hosts full name is the short myhost. Putting a line like
the last (with the fully qualified name first) into /etc/hosts should
fix this one.

>   This command is in the /etc/init.d/sendmail script and it make
>   the boot up/initialize process wait at the command for that long
>   before I can get the login prompt.
>
>   Many THANKS in advance.
>
> --
>          --------------------  Timothy C. Phan (tphan@asl.dl.nec.com)
>       --------------------                      NEC America, Inc. ASL
>    --------------------         1525 Walnut Hill Ln. Irving, TX 75038
> --------------------          tel: (214)-518-3437 fax: (214)-518-3499
>
>-- End of excerpt from Timothy Phan

Tim Frost

--
Tim Frost, Systems Engineer (Unix)  Email: Tim.Frost@nz.eds.com
EDS (NZ) Ltd,                       Voice: +64 4 495-0504