Re: Problem with 3c509b

Thomas,

This is dealt with, to some extent at least, by the Ethernet-HOWTO.

By default, the linux kernel only looks for one ethernet card.

You need to tell the kernel explicitly to look for each of the
additional cards. The append entry you quote is telling the kernel to
configure an ethernet card as eth1 (the first ethernet interface was
eth0, you are specifying eth1). You need to put in a corresponding
append entry for each additional ethernet interface that you want to
have detected. The kernel has a device table, which limits the number
of devices that can be configured. In the 2.0.18 kernel sources that I
am looking at, the table lists eth0-eth7 for a maximum of 8 devices.

If possible, you should set a configurable parameter for each
individual ethernet card, so that you can control which card is
identified with which interface. As an example, I configured a system
as a router with two 3c503 cards, and specified the IO address in the
LILO append parameters. This identification meant that I knew that I
was using the correct IP configuration for each of the cards.

Hope this helps

Tim

On Jan 7,  2:38pm, Thomas Tomiczek wrote:
> Subject: Problem with 3c509b
> Hello.
>
> I need to get a router running on the base of LINUX and decided to
use the Debian Distribution.

> I should mention that I am complety new to Linux.
>
> I have problems to get 3c509-cards to cooperate.
>
> I need to get 6 cards running in one system.
>
> We have a 19" industrial board with 13 usable ISA-Slots, so that is
not the Problem.

> My Problems are:
> - what are the exact kernel-changes I have to do to get 6
eth-interfaces?
> - what are the exact parameters I need to set in lilo.conf to get the
cards installed? I do not want to use modules, because this is sort of
a nether to be changed system.

> I was unable to get more than 2 cards installed sofar, this by
inserting
> -> append="ether=0,0,eth1" in lilo.conf. Nethertheless I was unable
to get a third card recognized.

--
Tim Frost, Systems Engineer (Unix)  Email: Tim.Frost@nz.eds.com
EDS (NZ) Ltd,                       Voice: +64 4 495-0504