Problem installing with Adaptec 2940 SCSI (fwd)

Hello everyone--

I'm attempting a Debian installation at work on a brand-new machine. It's a
Gateway 2000 Pentium Pro with, among other things, an Adaptec AHA-2940 Ultra
Wide SCSI controller, two 4GB Seagate Ultra Wide harddisks, an 8x SCSI
CD-ROM and a 3com 100mbit Ethernet card. It came with WindowsNT preloaded.

The Debian install disks don't seem to have the necessary driver to detect
my hard drives. I tried searching this list's archives as well as searching
Usenet but I didn't find any answers. Someone suggested I turn off the Dos >
1GB partitioning (which I did), and I tried the "linux aic7xxx=ultra" at the
boot prompt. I did notice a few references to the "special boot disks" in a
few Usenet posts, but the Debian ftp site revealed nothing, nor did I find a
mention of this in the Install docs.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there another bootdisk I could pick up
somewhere that could support this? I'm wondering if my Ethernet card will
present more problems, too. Would an easier solution be to pop in an old IDE
hard drive and 10mbit Ethernet card just to get the system up and running,
and then recomile a custom kernel?

Thanks,