PPP dial up connection help

OK, I'm a super newbie at Linux. I have it installed, and tried to set up a
PPP dial up threw an external modem. I think I am correct in using
/dev/ttys2 as my modem on port 3.
When I go to establish a connection it says "System lacks PPP kernel
support" Either I messed up the install, or I am missing a Debian package
for PPP support. Also on the subject of packages, what packages will I need
to install to get the most use out of my internet connection? and what
packages if any to support them. As of now all that is installed is the
files on the install disks. Looking forward to learning a new OS.

Thanks in advance

Eddie