Re: 1.1 memory management issue ??

"David B. Teague" <teague@WCUVAX1.WCU.EDU> writes:

> What package(s) do I upgrade to fix it?  We are running the 2.0.27 kernel.

Upgrade libc5.  Version 5.4 of libc5 uses dl-malloc, while 5.2 used
gnu-malloc.  You'll also need to upgrade ldso.  Long-running,
memory-intensive apps, like X servers, will benefit greatly.

You'll also get a plethora of security fixes as a bonus.

> Are there caveats?  Please suggest Manuals/documents/books...

Yes, the new malloc is much more brittle to memory overruns.  Luckily
dl-malloc has been in use for long enough so that very few programs
are still known to be buggy.  Netscape is the most notable.  You can
preload the old malloc for those programs which still crash.
/usr/doc/libc5/FAQ.gz (on 5.4.x-x) contains details.

Guy