Compile time errors in include files...

Hiya, I'm using g++ under Debian 1.2 and have the following compile error:

g++ -O -I ./lib    -c an.cc -o an.o
In file included from /usr/include/features.h:134,
                 from /usr/include/stdio.h:31,
                 from an.cc:22:
/usr/include/sys/cdefs.h:118: parse error before `typedef'

here is the relevant lines in cdefs.h

/* This is not a typedef so `const __ptr_t' does the right thing.  */
#define __ptr_t void *
typedef long double __long_double_t;

Now I post this here rather than a gcc/g++ list as this appears to be a
problem in how I have set up the system as surely gcc shouldn't barf on the
header files?