Re: New X11 installation

On Fri, 20 Dec 1996, Simon Martin wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Only me. I have now got a limping X11 installation. A few questions/observations:
>
> 1) I installed xserver_svga from Debian-1.2. When I run xbase-configure it
>    complains at the end of the installation that there is no XF86_S3 (I have
>    a Dell Dimension P130 with an S3 Trio 64 display driver). I generated
>    a link in /usr/X11R6/bin pointing to XF86_SVGA and it seems to work ok,
>    but...
>
> 2) If I specify the card as an S3 Trio 64 then when it launches the X screen
>    the dimensions are all wrong. In fact I can only see the top left quadrant
>    this means that I can't get to the xvidtune options.
>
> 3) Once I configure and X starts I don't get a login prompt. It just reflects
>    the messages that diald generates for some unknown reason.

Sorry that this is so late, but I've been away. Since no one seems to have
answered you, I'll take a lash at it ;-)
It sounds like you did the right thing for the setup. Memory says that you
need the SVGA driver to get configure to work. However since you have an
S3 card you will need the S3 server. This is what the complaint is about.
Try installing the S3 server and see if things don't work better.

Luck,

Dwarf