Generating a boot disk for 5 disk set

For some reason, my first message got lost.  The spam nazi caught it
the first time, so I registered, got the confirmation back and resent
the message, but I never saw it.  So if this is a dup, please excuse
me.

I'm installing a new 2.1 Gb drive in place of my 350 Mb. Current set up
is the first drive is a 350, and the second is a 1 Gb.  The first drive
has one dos partition and 3 Linux/Debian parts.  I'm going to move the
350 to the second drive position and install the 2.1 in the first,
temporarily.  Then I want to install a fresh copy of Linux on the 2.1.
Just enough pieces to copy the data from the 350 to the 2.1.

I'd like to generate a boot disk like the one in the 5 disk set that
I used to first install Debian 1.1.  I attempted to just do a
make zdisk
rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/fd0

but when I booted it, it did pause for the root floppy as expected, but
it paniced with a VFS unable to mount root on 02:00.  So that didn't
work.

So how do I create a boot disk that I can used in place of the original
one?  I've got a custom kernel that I'd rather use.

Thanks,
Jim.