Re: 1.2 Upgrade Experience

I just upgraded to 1.2 and had a similar experience.  It took a little
time to iron things out but now everything (with the possible
exception of amslatex) is working OK.

First of all, thanks everyone for a remarkable package of software.

Summary of constructive comments:

1.  Many packages can not configure correctly on first pass from naive
dselect upgrade because (for example) they depend on the new libc
which hasn't been configured yet.

2.  One of these was perl which makes further use of dselect
impossible.

Manual dpkg -i and rerunning install from dselect fixed 1 and 2.  (I
stayed in dselect till the whole process was completed and opened a
new shell to run dpkg).

3.  For some reason modules failed as well which resulted in losing
ppp and access to my cdrom.  Luckily I had a different kernel which
still had its sbpcd driver so I could install the kernel package
again.

4.  I had trouble with pppd since the upgrade but I think the machine
is just faster.  I added some delays in chatscript and it worked at
least once.

Thanks again for the great system.

Nathan

--
This message was delayed because the list mail delivery agent was down.