procmail as local mailer for sendmail

Hi,

A couple of weeks ago I changed the default local mailer for sendmail
(deliver) with procmail (this was a suggestion of edwalter@usa.net). The
reason for this change was that deliver does not notify comsat of new mail
so I ca no get asynchronous notification of incoming mail through the biff
program.

Well, everything works fine except that with the default setup some
situations are not handled right: when I am using vi and am connected
through modem to the system and get disconnected because of noise, the cron
daemon sends me an e-mail leeting me know how to recover the file I was
editing. Well, in the list of processes I see a "sendmail -t" and a
"procmail -Y -a -d eparis". The procmail process never finishes so sendmail
(the parent process) does not finishes either.

I guess the problem is this -a switch that according to procmail's man page,
requires a parameter following it. I don't see this parameter when the cron
daemon sends the message to me.

I can solve the situation by getting rid of the -a switch in the local
mailer args. This is the important part of my sendmail.mc file:

FEATURE(local_procmail, /usr/bin/procmail)
define(`LOCAL_MAILER_ARGS', `procmail -Y -d $u')
MAILER(local)dnl

If I get rid of the define statement above I get the problem described. This
is because the default for the LOCAL_MAILER_ARGS define is `procmail -Y -a
$h -d $u'.

Does any one has a clue of what's happening with this -a $h switch and why
the cron daemon has problems sending local mail?

Thanks in advance.

E.-

--

Eloy A. Paris
Information Technology Department

"Where does this path lead?" said Alice
"Depends on where you want to go.""  Said the cat
("Alice in Wonderland", by Lewis Carroll.)