Re: virtual mail domains... long-winded response

According to Nick Busigin:

> On Wed, 18 Dec 1996, Al Youngwerth wrote:
>
> > I'd sure like to hear from other ISPs and linux masquerading/diald
> > users out there and how they handle virtual domains. Using linux with
> > masquerading and diald is becoming a very popular way to connect small
> > LANs to businesses so I think its something that ISPs should support well.
> >
> > More ideas and comments?
>
> Hello Al,
>
> What do you think of using MX records to a uucp host and using uucp and
> sendmail's uucp-dom mailer?  You can use uucp over a TCP/IP connection, so
> it should work with well with diald.
>
>                                    Nick

> Nick Busigin     <Sent from my Debian/GNU Linux Machine>    nick@xwing.org
>
> To obtain my pgp public key, email me with the subject: "get pgp-key"

I have set up a couple of Linux based e-mail servers with uucp.  The
main advantages of uucp are low cost and local control of e-mail
accounts.  The latest system (a 386SX-16MHz 4MB PC) uses Debian 1.1
with smail and qpopper (pop3) to distribute e-mail to a LAN comprised
of WfWg PC's running Eudora Light clients.  The major disadvantage is
the addressing currently required, i.e.,
	local-host!username@isp-domain.net
instead of
	username@local-host.isp-domain.net
I suspect that the proper MX record at the ISP would fix this.

--
 \ Carl Greco           PHONE voice: (402) 496-3381 /