Re: 1.2 installation, more notes

I installed the system myself this weekend, and here are my notes.

On Tue, 17 Dec 1996, Vatiainen Heikki wrote:

> I have been installing Debian little by little so I could see what's going on.
> Here's the most recent findings.

> o XFSetup didn't work. The configuration utility seemed to work right but when
>    it was the time to test the server the client was not able to connect to it.
>   I had to use xf86config and it worked fine.
>
> o /usr/X11R6/lib wasn't added to /etc/ld.so.conf, but I guess this is already
>    known

Ditto for both.

o I also had mysterious problems with TeX installation. dselect repeatedly
 failing to configure texbin, resulting in all the remaining [la]tex
 packages remaining unconfigured. When I manually used
 dpkg --pending --configure, the configuration and installtion proceeded
 without a hitch.

o I have an annoying problem with the login prompt. After booting, the
 first prompt I get is Password: and not Username:. This happens on the
 console, and not on the virtual terms. However, when I logout of any
 terminal, console or virtual, the term shows the Password: prompt.

o I'm having problems recompiling the kernel. Compilation and module
 installation proceeds smoothly (using kernel-sources-2.0.27_1.00 ), but
 at boot time the slhc, slip and ppp modules I selected (and I suspect the
 rest in  that category) are not recognized/loaded. Even if I tell
 make config to include slip/ppp/slhc in the kernel instead of as modules,
 I cannot use slip or ppp. I noticed these modules were advertised as
 being (NEW!) on the first compile.
  The kludge I used was to compile the kernel with my specifications, but
 use the /lib/modules/2.0.27-old directory instead of the one installed by
 the make modules_install.

o Incidentally, I noticed the Latex2e distribution does not include a lot
 of the style files mentioned in some Latex2e books, and that are found
 with the teTeX distribution on our campus machines (specifically the
 directories in /usr/lib/texmf/tex/latex). I now have to
 get these files from the campus and put them in the appropriate place on
 my machine.

--prashanth