Problems with XF86

I've been working to get XF86 running on a Dell Optiplex 5133 without
much luck.  Nothing seems to allow me to access the mouse.  So far it's
not been possible to get either gpm or XF86 to see it.  We have tried
many combinations and all except /dev/ttyS0 have given an error that
the mouse device does not exist.  It will not recognize /dev/psaux.

Now for the interesting part.  We loaded up CND 1.0 and it works fine
as /dev/psaux...

Any / all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Dave