Problems with X and gcc

Howdy one and all,

I upgraded to 1.2 from 1.1 and I have been banging my head on my keyboard
trying to fix the two problems I ran across.

*** gcc ***

This probably has to do with the upgrade I tried last week. According to
'dpkg --list', everything is installed and configured. That is all fine and
dandy but when I tried to compile one of my programs, I get something like
'gcc command not found'. If I try to 'find / -name "gcc"' the only thing
that it finds is the copy-write notice. This is not a good thing, in fact
this can even be filed under bad things. Is anyone else having this
problem? Does anyone have any advice or theories?

*** X ***

OK This one should be easy. When I tried to start the upgraded X11 (version
3.2 I think), I get a fatal error complaining:

<snip>
(--) SVGA: clgd5426: Specifying a Clocks line makes no sense for this
driver
SVGA: 'clgd5426' is an invalid chipset
 *** None of the configured devices were detected.***

Fatal server error:
no screens found
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
   giving up.
xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

I went looking for 'clgd5426' in all of the files in /etc/X11 but I didn't
find it. Where else should I be looking.