Re: Blackout kills harddisk - owner pleads for help!

    Mark> Partition check: hda: hda1 hdb: hdb1 hdb2 hdb3 VFS: Cannot
    Mark> open root device 08:01 Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount
    Mark> root fs on 08:01

Your floppy is trying to boot from the device with major number 8,
minor number 1. This is sda1, the first SCSI disk, first
partition. Try telling your floppy to boot linux from hda1:

LILO Boot: linux root=/dev/hda1

That should do the trick. If your floppy isn't using LILO you should
be able to use the debian boot disk instead.

More long term, there must be a problem with LILO on your system. Once
you get it up from a floppy have a look at /etc/lilo.conf. You should
have something along the lines of...

boot=/dev/hda1
root=/dev/hda1
compact
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
delay=20
image=/vmlinuz
label=Linux
read-only

However, the problem you described (`LI' and nothing else) I have seen
when the master boot record doesn't seem to hand off properly to lilo
on /dev/hda1. My fix was to use `boot=/dev/hda', and install lilo on
the MBR, instead of the first sector of the partition. Remember to run
lilo after editing lilo.conf.

Hope that helps,
Graeme

PS. You can find out the major and minor numbers of a device with
`ls -l' in /dev, e.g.

abulafia$ ls -l /dev/sda*
brw-rw----   1 root     disk       8,   0 Dec 31  1969 sda
brw-rw----   1 root     disk       8,   1 Dec 31  1969 sda1

you can find out the device associated with a major number by
greping...

abulafia$ ls -l /dev | grep "8,"
brw-rw----   1 root     disk       8,   0 Dec 31  1969 sda
brw-rw----   1 root     disk       8,   1 Dec 31  1969 sda1

| Graeme A Stewart, pgp public key  finger graeme@ariel.igeofcu.unam.mx	|
|  Key fingerprint =  AF C7 BF A4 52 D5 3C 3B  17 A5 62 43 DA 15 E8 97  |
|   Please support free			GNU: http://www.gnu.ai.mit.edu/	|
|         software.            Debian/GNU Linux: http://www.debian.org/	|
|   "Keep a good head, and always carry a lightbulb."	Dylan		|