Re: Who is guilty, the kernel or Debian?

Hi,

At 02:05 PM 11/28/96 PST, you wrote:

>Can you revert to the 2.0.6 kernel and tell us if that one causes a problem?

Nope, it didn't work. I re-installed a fresh kernel source tree (2.0.7),
re-configured it for my basic hardware (IDE, NE2100 compatible card, serial
driver, MS-DOS+ext2 fs support and nothing else), and re-booted and it did
not work. This time a got:

LILO Loading Linux
Uncompressing Linux...

crc error

-- System Halted

Now, if I press the reset button, or cycle power, Linux will come back as if
nothing happened. It will be up for days... unless I execute a reboot
command (reboot, shutdown -r).

In my opinion, this error is another side effect of the real cause. Consider
the three different effects I am seeing (one at a time, of course):

1) A sequence of 1-3-3 beeps: this means "1st 64KB RAM chip or data line
failure" (according to the computer's manual)
2) The BIOS displays something like "Memory failure at XXXX: expected YYYY
and found ZZZZ - Decreasing available memory, please run setup program."
3) CRC error after decompressing the kernel.

All of the above situations could be caused by "kernel interaction with
BIOS, possibly related to memory management bits not cleared by reset on
your system" (as Bruce Perens said)

I have another machine exactly the same as this one (same model, same
memory) I can take my hard drive to that machine and I bet it will do the
same. It has to be a software problem.

Uhhmmm... should I try and go back to 2.0.0??? Any ideas??? I am lost. I had
not seen anything like this before.

Eloy.-

--

Eloy A. Paris