Re: Who is guilty, the kernel or Debian?

On Thu, 28 Nov 1996, Eloy A. Paris wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At 02:05 PM 11/28/96 PST, you wrote:
>
> >Can you revert to the 2.0.6 kernel and tell us if that one causes a problem?
>
> Nope, it didn't work. I re-installed a fresh kernel source tree (2.0.7),
> re-configured it for my basic hardware (IDE, NE2100 compatible card, serial
> driver, MS-DOS+ext2 fs support and nothing else), and re-booted and it did
> not work. This time a got:
>
> LILO Loading Linux
> Uncompressing Linux...
>
> crc error
>
> -- System Halted
>
> Now, if I press the reset button, or cycle power, Linux will come back as if
> nothing happened. It will be up for days... unless I execute a reboot
> command (reboot, shutdown -r).
>
> In my opinion, this error is another side effect of the real cause. Consider
> the three different effects I am seeing (one at a time, of course):
>
> 1) A sequence of 1-3-3 beeps: this means "1st 64KB RAM chip or data line
> failure" (according to the computer's manual)
> 2) The BIOS displays something like "Memory failure at XXXX: expected YYYY
> and found ZZZZ - Decreasing available memory, please run setup program."
> 3) CRC error after decompressing the kernel.
>
> All of the above situations could be caused by "kernel interaction with
> BIOS, possibly related to memory management bits not cleared by reset on
> your system" (as Bruce Perens said)
>
> I have another machine exactly the same as this one (same model, same
> memory) I can take my hard drive to that machine and I bet it will do the
> same. It has to be a software problem.
>
> Uhhmmm... should I try and go back to 2.0.0??? Any ideas??? I am lost. I had
> not seen anything like this before.
>
> Eloy.-
>
> --
>
> Eloy A. Paris
> Information Technology
> Rockwell Automation de Venezuela
> Telephone: +58-2-9432311 Fax: +58-2-9430323

Are you enabled the shadow memory on your bios setup? I had a similar (but
less critical) problem with older Kernel (and WinNT at the same time) and
disabled the shadow memory resolved the problem.

Although, I heard somewhere that some new board just don't reset correctly
the hardware in soft reboot. They just don't reset the hardware letting
the initial call resetting itself...

It's just a suggestion. I'm not an expert!!!

 "When all else fails, read the instructions."
                                          -- Cahn's Axiom
Fabien Ninoles aka Baffouille       || Running Debian-Linux
Ninf01@gel.usherb.ca                || Lover of MOO, mountains,
http://www-edu.gel.usherb.ca/ninf01 || poetry and Freedom.