Re: CD-ROM IRQ Timeout

On Sun, 24 Nov 1996, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> > > Try giving "hdb=cdrom" as an argument to the kernel. Maybe that will help.
> > >
> > No, this doesn't make any difference. This parameter only is necessary to
> > tell the kernel that /dev/hdb is a CD-ROM drive instead of a harddisk. The
> > effect is the same as described by the original poster. Any other ideas?
> Put a disc in the drive? :-(
Sure i did! I get these messages accessing the disc during installation
of Debian packages from my I-Connect CD-ROM...

> The other alternative is to try to fix the driver,
> but I don't know nearly enough about Linux to even consider it.
Yeah, and i'm an ethnologist who knows more about African languages than
about any programming language! ;-) I'm totally dependend on the
benevolence of all you fine GNU programmers out there!

> With a disc in the drive at mount time, it works fine.
Well, without accessing it, it works fine here as well. But that's not
what this drive has been bought for...
                                              Any ideas someone? P. *8^)
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de
   Our AMA Homepage  in  the WWW at  http://www.uni-mainz.de/~bender/