Re: Strange behavior of lpr+lpd

On Thu, 21 Nov 96 14:48:07 +0100, mgiammarco@provincia.ra.it writes:
>> Which version of gs dou you use?
>Version 3.33 it is not a debian package, I installed it manually.
(well, there is one in non-free)

>> >If I invoke the filter with /etc/filter.ps <filetoprint.ps
>> Ok. So for so good.
>> >If I do lpr filetoprint.ps nothing appear. If I do lpq it says
>> >"lp is ready and is printing" but it is not true.
>> This doesn't say anything. But you do see any pending jobs in the
>> queue? A la: (david@eos) ~$lpq stylus is ready and printing Rank
>> Owner Job Files Total Size active david 312 demo.c 180 bytes
>>
>There is the pending job. Lpc says queuing is enabled printing is
>enabled 1 entry in spool area etc....
Fine.

>> PS: What was your success with magicfilter?
>No success with magicfilter no with apsfilter
Bad.

>PPS: Have you read the
>> Printing-HOWTO?
>Obviously.
Sorry. Just wanted to be sure.

>I begin to suspect there is a cable problem, with windows95 and
>directly with postscript I can print, but when lpq says that lp is
>ready and printing I notice that the data led on my printer lights,
>and sometimes the printer loads a sheet of paper. I will try
>another printer cable. But the question is, what "handshake" the
>lpd do with the printer? I mean, what return value/signal lpd would
>receive from the printer before send another data?

lpd itself doesn't handshake. It only spools the data and sends it to
/dev/lp? (the one you gave in /etc/printcap). If you can print directly
via 'cat filetoprint.txt > /dev/lp?' (as root) lpd should also work (modulo
permissions). You could report back the permissions of /dev/lp?, /usr/sbin/lpd
and your filters.
If you can't print directly there is something wrong with the driver (I,
for example, had to put the driver into polling mode, using IRQ 7 didn't work
with my Epson Stylus !?)

Later,
  David