Re: Dselect docs for beginners

In your email to me, Lindsay Allen, you wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Nov 1996, Tim Sailer wrote:
>

> > In the Access part, explain what the common cdrom devices are,
> > what to do if you have problems with nfs (I have written up locally
> > about the nfs.o problem, and have a ftpable copy), and offer
> > a little more detail on the ftp method. Maybe point to some ftp
> > sites. Are there any other public nfs sites?
>
> I gave this some thought, but as I am documenting dselect rather that the
> install process I have not gone into cdroms and the nfs problem will go
> away with 1.2.  Maybe ftp should get a mention, but there again it is a
> different layer from dselect.  I have not used it.
>

> > Explain in detail what the 'EIOM' headings mean.
>
> Done.
>
> > explain the '=' option in case something is broken in a package
> > and you can't get by it (as seen in the e2fsprogs in the past few weeks)
>
> Done
>
> At this point the document is 300 lines which is about as far as I can
> stretch Bruce's request for a SHORT file.  Look on
> ftp://oak.scotch.wa.edu.au/pub for dselect.beginner.3.gz.  Please report
> errors.

Looks great! We should expand on this (maybe on a web page) to make
a more complete documentaion of dselect. People tend to read stuff
they can print out, but get flustered in an application like
dselect.

Tim

PS: I'll make the web page and add to it if there is that need.

--
 (work) sailer@bnl.gov / (home) tps@buoy.com - http://www.buoy.com/~tps
             "Too much information running through my brain,