Permission problems

I just repartitioned one of my drives to give Linux more space and Winbloze
less. Now I have four partitions: swap, /, /usr, and /usr/local instead of
three (/, /usr, swap) The system appeared to work OK when I tested it, but
(conveniantly :-) after I turned the usr partition into the usr/local
partition I started getting wacky errors, and xdm wouldn't let me log in
as a regular user. I found that all of the files in my home directory were
owned by root! A find -group root | xargs chown stephen.stephen ficed
most of the problems, but man still says "Can't set effective uid:
Operation not permitted", and my MUA (mutt, an elm clone) can't read from
the spool even though it is owned by stephen. Can anyone offer any
suggestions?
--
Stephen Pitts					pitts2@memphisonline.com
Proudly running Debian GNU/Linux 1.1 on an Intel Pentium 150

The Psblurtex is an 18-inch long anaconda that hides in the gentlemen's
outfitting departments of Amazonian stores and is often bought by
mistake since its colors are those of the London Reform Club.  Once
tied around its victim's neck, it strangles him gently and then claims
the insurance before running off to Germany where it lives in hiding.
		-- Mike Harding, "The Armchair Anarchist's Almanac"