Re: Permission problems

On Sat, 26 Oct 1996, Stephen Pitts wrote:

> I just repartitioned one of my drives to give Linux more space and Winbloze
> less. Now I have four partitions: swap, /, /usr, and /usr/local instead of
> three (/, /usr, swap) The system appeared to work OK when I tested it, but
> (conveniantly :-) after I turned the usr partition into the usr/local
> partition I started getting wacky errors, and xdm wouldn't let me log in
> as a regular user. I found that all of the files in my home directory were
> owned by root! A find -group root | xargs chown stephen.stephen ficed
> most of the problems, but man still says "Can't set effective uid:
> Operation not permitted", and my MUA (mutt, an elm clone) can't read from
> the spool even though it is owned by stephen. Can anyone offer any
> suggestions?

How did you move files around?  if you used tar without the "preserve
uid,gid,permissions" flag, then tar may have reset all of the
ownerships, and permissions to root and your umask.

This would definitly screw up MUAs, etc.

This happened to me once.  The only solution (besides manaully
changing all the ownerships, permissions) was to redo the move with
the proper args.  Fortunatly I hadn't erased the original tree yet.

Good Luck,
Erv

                                ____
--==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /   / /_/\ \ \         - walter@chem.wisc.edu