Re: ??? About New Installation - Successes and Problems

On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Jason Gerry wrote:

> 1) The thing works. It's amazing. But I can't do too much since I installed
> off of the floppy disk 1.4 set. So I need to install things like, oh,
> editors and such. I have practically no support for anything yet. Anyway, I
> try to install what the FAQ/DOCS call 'packages', but all I can find is
> .deb files. I have lots of them!

.deb files ARE packages

if you point dselect at the debian directory structure, it should find
the Packages.gz files, which contains the list of available packages.

> 2) Networking Support. I installed it and compiled it with my kernel.
> TCP/IP Ethernet (and AppleTalk, since I'm a Mac guy). So now I want to be
> able to telnet into my Linux box from my Macs on the same Ethernet network,
> which I thought I could do by giving them IP addresses (fake ones, since
> I'm not really on the Internet except by dialup). So I set my Linux box to
> 1.2.3.4 and I can't manage to telnet to it. It is receiving the broadcast
> packets, but it's not happy.

Don't use 1.2.3.4, use one of the class c networks reserved for private
nets.

e.g.
    192.168.1.0     network address
    192.168.1.255   broadcast address
    255.255.255.0   netmask

    192.168.1.1     linux
    192.168.1.2     mac1
    192.168.1.3     mac2
    192.168.1.4     mac3
    192.168.1.5     mac4
       etc

> Do I need to install more networking stuff first?

probably.  depends on what you have installed already.

Craig