??? About New Installation - Successes and Problems

Hi all! Just joined this list, just finished installing Debian 1.1 for the
first time last night. And already I have some questions:

1) The thing works. It's amazing. But I can't do too much since I installed
off of the floppy disk 1.4 set. So I need to install things like, oh,
editors and such. I have practically no support for anything yet. Anyway, I
try to install what the FAQ/DOCS call 'packages', but all I can find is
.deb files. I have lots of them! I think I should be able to install things
with dselect, but it wants package files, of which I can't find any! Any
FTP directories that have the word 'package' in them are broken links. So
basically, I need some info about basic package installation procedures,
which I can't seem to find anywhere in the FAQ or DOCS or the books that I
have.

2) Networking Support. I installed it and compiled it with my kernel.
TCP/IP Ethernet (and AppleTalk, since I'm a Mac guy). So now I want to be
able to telnet into my Linux box from my Macs on the same Ethernet network,
which I thought I could do by giving them IP addresses (fake ones, since
I'm not really on the Internet except by dialup). So I set my Linux box to
1.2.3.4 and I can't manage to telnet to it. It is receiving the broadcast
packets, but it's not happy. Do I need to install more networking stuff
first? My ethernet card is recognized properly (that's good). Also, need to
be able to FTP stuff to my Linux box from my Macs and install packages
directly from the PC drives. I have an extra, unformatted HD in my Linux
box; should I format that and use it for storage or what?

OK, this message got way too long. But I'd appreciate any help I could get.

Thanks!

jason gerry
jgerry@mindspring.com