Re: debian installation in a bigger network

> We plan to install the debian distribution in the whole network. I was
> looking for a master installation script to run the installation
> process automatically from a nfs mounted directory or via ftp. Are
> there any solutions for that.

We maintain a small network of Debian machines here, but have no master
install script.  We just run 'dftp' on each and select the packages
we want.

I suppose that if all machines had identical packages, you could just
run 'dftp' once and then copy the ".selected" file around to each
machine (or share it somehow) and call 'dftp --unpack'.

> We want to keep the computers also all together at the same
> installation level with rdist. But what about the specific directories
> /etc? Whe where thinking of installing one master debian system and to
> distribute new installed software over night to the other systems, so
> that on the other day all systems are again on the same level. As I
> said, installing new software can also install files in /ets and
> distributing /etc to the slave systems isn't a good idea.

To manage config files and the like, we use "cfengine".  It takes a while
to get the hang of and set up properly, but once done it really is a life
saver.  To build a new machine, we install the desired packages, edit the
/etc/cron.daily/cfengine file to turn on CVS, and then run that script.
Voila!  We have another fully configured system that exactly matches all
the others.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )