does libc5.4.7 compatible with netscape 3.0

> Once I upgrade libc to 5.4.7-1, netscape cannot run and it said
> bus error.  Then I downgrade to 5.2.18, netscape runs again.
> Is it a bug?

Yes, I would say it's a bug in the Debian version of libc 5.4.7.  Some
functions have been moved from the C library to the compiler, and applications
compiled with older versions of gcc need help to work with libc 5.4.7.  I
stumbled across a fix for the problem at

http://nightflight.com/~pcg/medkit.html

The "medkit" library supplies the missing functions for programs that need
them, and comes with instructions for installing it.  WARNING: the URL above
points to the Pentium Compiler Group site, so I'm not sure if the medkit
binary there is compatible with non-Pentium processors.  It works for me, I
can run Netscape with libc 5.4.7 just fine..  medkit or equivalent
functionality should be supplied as part of the Debian version of libc, at
least for the time being--though I imagine there will be applications that
need it for a long time.

-Randy
--
http://cogsci.ucsd.edu/~gobbel/

NOTICE: I DO NOT ACCEPT UNSOLICITED COMMERCIAL EMAIL MESSAGES OF ANY KIND.  I
CONSIDER SUCH MESSAGES PERSONAL HARRASSMENT AND A GROSS INVASION OF MY
PRIVACY.  By sending unsolicited commercial advertising/solicitations (or
indicating your consent to paying John R. (Randy) Gobbel $1,000.00 U.S.D./hour
for a minimum of 1 hour for my time spent dealing with it. Payment due in 30
days upon receipt of an invoice (e-mail or regular mail) from me or my
authorized representative.