Re: does libc5.4.7 compatible with netscape 3.0

On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Randy Gobbel wrote:

> Yes, I would say it's a bug in the Debian version of libc 5.4.7.  Some
> functions have been moved from the C library to the compiler, and
> applications compiled with older versions of gcc need help to work with
> libc 5.4.7. I stumbled across a fix for the problem at
>
> http://nightflight.com/~pcg/medkit.html

I'm having a lot of trouble with Netscape 3.0[1b], it exits randomly...
at first I thought the problem was related to Java, but I found a
Java-less page where Netscape 3.0 exited. Using 3.01b on page with Java
applets (www.download.com, for example) makes it exit as soon as the
Applet starts to run. I have libc 5.4.7 installed, and if I use medkit I
get the message "Bus Error" (I have a 486, not a Pentium).  If I downgrade
to the stable version of libc (5.2.?) Netscape works fine... Trouble is my
kernel and everything else here is compiled against something newer than
5.2.x, but my users are complaining a lot about Netscape not working...

Any more ideas?

Marcelo