Reading news with Emacs

Hi,

After a few weeks trying out Linux I decided to downloaded Emacs and sofar I am impressed with Emacs.

I have not succeeded in getting Emacs Gnus to read news, however.  I did put export NNTPSERVER=news.ilink.nis.za in my .bashrc file but it did not have any effect on gnus' behavior

I get the following error message:
Johann (My computer name) open error:''. Continue?

If I answer yes then the following message appear:
Auto-save file exists. Read it?

After that  "no news is horrible news" in the minibuffer and on the status bar "Gnus: *Group* {nntp:Johann}

I do not understand the documentation in this regard.  It talks about a DOMAINNAME - variable but I do not read where I can find or change this variable.

Can somebody help, please?

Thank you to everyone who patiently answered my questions on LaTeX and smail.

Johann Spies
jhspies@ilink.nis.za