Re: make-kpgk modules troubles

Hi Thomas --

A while ago you asked:
> Until recently, I just rolled my own kernel as I was used to do
> with Slackware. But since I found out about make-kpkg, I decided
> to do things the Debian way and use that instead. After much hassle
> wit the broken tar (solved by downgrading), there's still a problem:
> Whenever I try to make a modules package for my system, I end up
> with a message like "Modules not configured, so not making modules".

Then Joey Hess replied:
>Sorry, I can't help you with your problem, but this does raise a question
>in my mind: what exactly is the benefit of using the kernel-package vs.
>rolling your own kernel?

The following might be useful input for both questions:

make-kpkg provides a kernel-image package that can be managed and manipulated
like other Debian packages.  The accessibility of all the files involved
in upgrading a kernel to the Debian tools is an advantage, especially if
one is trying out many kernel configurations and/or versions.

Once I run
      make-kpkg kernel_image
it is very easy to make a new copy of the Debian boot disk, using the
boot-floppies package:
      cd /usr/src/bootfloppies-1.1.1
      ./bootdisk.sh kernel-image-2.0.whatever.deb /dev/fd0 1440

This makes a handy emergency boot disk (even though its initial primary
design was for installation.)  One can't use the boot floppies script
without the kernel-image .deb file.

HTH,
Susan Kleinmann