Re: Unidentified subject!

Fernando Tadeu Caldeira Brandt wrote:

> I just just installed Debian from the August 96 release of
> Infomagic's 6 CD set and I would like to know how to access
> (using dselect) the local and non-free packages.
> Are they in the CD set?

No, they are not.

The 'local' set is just that; ones that you made locally for use on your
machine.  Say you have a network of machines with the same cards in them
(not unusual in a commercial network), and you built a package with the
2.0.20 kernel with all the drivers you need.  You make this package
available in your 'local' set.  Or, you want to keep an older version of
a program around.  (You get the idea.)

I have no idea why the 'non-free' set is not included on the CD set,
other than for space reasons, as most of the programs in that set are
included in the other distributions.

         | Technical Support Engineer, Cyclades Corporation   |
         | 800/88-CYCLADES (882-9252) or (510)770-9727, x258  |
         | Maker of High Performance Multiport Serial Cards   |
         | Unsolicited mail ads subject to a $25 handling fee |