Re: Shouldn't go app-defaults in /etc/X11?

Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:
> My suggestion of tagging the files as conffiles was thought as a solution
> to your problem, if the files change.

That's the problem, though---it's not a solution at all.  Consider if
the application introduces a new resource, without which the
application will fail?

Isn't it less work for the sysadmin if he/she can know that the
app-defaults file is _guaranteed_ correct (and managed in the postinst
to be customized for given obvious system defaults (like the nntp host
for knews)), and that if the app's not working he or she may need to
expiriment with the _few_ customised options in /etc/X11/Xresources?

What if someone maintains a package they don't use (I do for several
these days), and thus they are never aware that the program won't work
correctly (or lose data, or whatever), if you don't have a certain app
default?  I can't mention it in the postinst if I don't know about it.

> So I think the point is the following: Do we consider the
> app-defaults files as part of the program (code), or as
> configuration files. In the former case, they should stay in /usr,
> in the latter they should be moved to /etc/X11 and be tagged as
> conffiles.

They're part of the code.  They're _defaults_.  Anything else is
customization, and should go on elsewhere.

Mike.