Re: Shouldn't go app-defaults in /etc/X11?

Michael Alan Dorman <mdorman@calder.med.miami.edu> writes:
> I feel like a broken record, here, but would people involved in this
> discussion please look at /usr/doc/X11/debian.README?  Otherwise
> you're wasting both your own and others' time.
>
> For instance, it mentions the solution to the above mentioned issue:
>
>  Please note that this distribution expects you to leave app-defaults
>  files unchanged. If you want to customise X applications globally, put
>  your customisations in /etc/X11/Xresources.
Well I had a look at the file (and surely Lars too) but the point is that
I'm not satisfied with the argument, that the readme says that's the way
to do it.

My suggestion of tagging the files as conffiles was thought as a solution
to your problem, if the files change. Of course, this will need the
app-defaults directory be moved over to /etc/X11, but that's what we
were talking about.

So I think the point is the following: Do we consider the app-defaults
files as part of the program (code), or as configuration files. In the
former case, they should stay in /usr, in the latter they should be moved
to /etc/X11 and be tagged as conffiles.

Sorry, if I didn't express my standpoint clearly.

Cheers,

Chris

--          _,,     Christian Schwarz
           / o \__   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@debian.org,