Re: mailing list

> The problem it's I can't put everything on my online
> account and they (administrator) don't have procmail
> or mh...

That's one reason why I use MH on my home machine...  Nobody but me
cares that I have 100MB of archived mail.  I can do any sort of
filtering I want, and so forth.  That's one of the nice things about
running Linux... you are free to use sophisticated tools your ISP won't
let you.

> That's good for the reputation
> of the mail list but mush of the time, it's because
> we try to answer directly to the user without checking
> what other people already answered. (I do it myself
> more of the time). Results: many answers mainly
> identicals to a same problems.

Yes, and this happens also on newsgroups.  If anything, it is -worse-
on newsgroups, since people are more likely to follow-up without
checking or before propagation delays allow them to even seee the other
followups.  Newsgroups also have larger propagation, and attract spam,
flames, irrelavancies, meaningless crossposts, and so forth.  Can you
imagine if a comp.os.linux.advocacy/comp.os.windows.advocacy
crossposting got into ...debian.users?

The only real solution would be to moderate it, which would overwork
some poor volunteer and probably change the flavor of the list.

> More of that, a news group is more organized. Thread
> are follow up and it's easy to jump over some who
> don't interested yourself. This will help people to
> got an answer more easily and more quickly, and to
> free a bit the traffic on this mail list (Debian-users).

This is a mis-conception.  Newsgroups are only -slightly- more
organized than mailing lists, in that newsgroups add an additional
header: "References", which allows newsreaders to tie articles together
into threads a bit easier.  A mail program should also be able to do
some degree of threading.  Granted, most mail programs don't, but then,
neither does rn, one of the classic news programs out there.

> About the CGI-news thread... I remember to see one in
> a HOWTO contributions page... But where? Sorry, I was
> looking and don't find it.

And that is part of the problem...  The Kernel Hacker's Guide is like
that, but I don't read it as much as I wanted to when I first saw it.
Where was that?  I don't know, it's in my Netscape bookmarks.  But I
don't leave Netscape up all the time, it's a memory hog.  My mail
reader, however, isn't.  I also don't have to be online, nor do I have
to go to it, and so forth.

--
     Buddha Buck                      bmbuck@acsu.buffalo.edu
"Just as the strength of the Internet is chaos, so the strength of our