Re: joe and lynx on a short terminal

On Wed, 28 Aug 1996, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> On 28 Aug 1996, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
>
> > Probably a terminfo problem. Your terminal may have auto-wrap (auto-margins)
> > and terminfo says it doesn't, or vice verse. Also make sure that you do
> > have the right terminfo entry: if you set term to "linux" its terminfo
> > entry says it has 25 lines.
> >
> This bring up another issue. This terminal obviously has special needs. Is
> there a way in /etc/profile (or somewhere else) to set up the proper
> conditions based on the terminal rather than the user? That is, can I
> determine at login time what tty is being used and set the proper
> conditions reguardless of the user logging in?

I have this in my .bash_profile to set my terminal to vt320 if I'm
calling in on the phone which I rarely do anymore::

TTY=`tty`
case $TTY in
  /dev/ttyS?) TERM=vt320 ;;
esac

Actually, this brings up yet another issue.  vt320 doesn't seem to be
supported anymore (or maybe it never was on Debian, I don't know). If I
try to use vt320 I get:

Cannot open termcap file
  vt320 not builtin

  or

Unknown terminal.

Does Debian support vt320?  I see there is a vt320 file under
/usr/lib/terminfo/v/vt320.  Am I doing something wrong?

Gerry