Three Probs

I have everything running but two things didn't work out.
My root login, well I don't have one. When I boot from LILO I go
straight to linux without going into a login and password prompt. I am
the user root. I would like to have a root login and personal login just
to save my machine from its user mainly me.

Also I can't use my mouse pad (Linux is on my laptop) without linux
locking up. I have to suspend the computer then come back into it for
things to work again. Is there a way to tell Linux to ignore output from
the mouse pad.

One more thing how do I make sure I have the most recent version of
everything. Web base, ftp doc? I know about ftp.debain.com/buzz but do I
have to install things from /fixes too.

Thanks

Marcus Hightower