Re: Three Probs

Hi Marcus --

You asked:
> My root login, well I don't have one. When I boot from LILO I go
> straight to linux without going into a login and password prompt. I am
> the user root.

It's hard to see how this happened.  In any case, if even root isn't
asked to log in, then add this line to /etc/passwd:

root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

Then (as root) execute the command

passwd                 <- really.  Don't execute "password".

Then, when you are prompted, specify a new password.

>I would like to have a root login and personal login just
> to save my machine from its user mainly me.
In order to set yourself up as a user, you need to execute the
command (as root)

adduser your_user_name

You will be asked for some information, just respond as required.

> Also I can't use my mouse pad (Linux is on my laptop) without linux
> locking up. I have to suspend the computer then come back into it for
> things to work again. Is there a way to tell Linux to ignore output from
> the mouse pad.

More information is needed to diagnose this I think.
Are you using X?  gpm?

> One more thing how do I make sure I have the most recent version of
> everything. Web base, ftp doc? I know about ftp.debain.com/buzz but do I
> have to install things from /fixes too.

Well, you should get the files in buzz-fixed.  They were put there to
upgrade bugs, not to provide enhance functionality (that kind of
improvement will come in the next Debian release).

OTOH, it sounds as if you have some exploring to do.  You might want
to stick with what you've got -- if you can get it working to your
satisfaction -- since Debian 1.2 should be out in only a couple of months.

Good luck,
Susan Kleinmann