RE: how in the world?........

On 13:32:56 Mike& Candy List wrote:
>>can I delete unnecessary partitions?Ibegan to install debian on C drive
>but decided to wait until I could install a discrete hard drive to
>dedicate to debian or other linux.This accomplished, I attempted to
>delete the partitions I created on C drive, but fdisk tells me I can't
>delete extended partition while logical drives exist but when I attempt
>to delete the logical drives I'm told that no logical drives are defined
>both disks are relatively small so it is of substantial concern that I
>am able to reclaim this space. any suggestions?...Mike List

Mike,

Seen this one before too!  I think you probably created the partitions
with Linux fdisk, and are attempting to delete them using DOS fdisk.
Doesn't work!  You'll have to remove them with Linux fdisk or format
the drive, I think.  You could try setting the partition type to a DOS
FAT (I think its type 6), but you'll even have to use Linux fdisk to do
that.  DOS will see the partition, and calls it NON-DOS, but it won't
let you manipulate the table entries for it at all.  If you can, set it do
a DOS type, and then you'll be able to delete it with DOS fdisk.

Paul