/etc/passwd migration between systems

> As Jim Worthington said:
> >
> > I do know that when I tried to copy my /etc/passwd file from a Sun
> > system to Debian 1.1, the passwords would not decrypt correctly on
> > login.

Just another data point....  I just copied my passwords from my SVR4
Dell Unix system to Linux, and they worked fine.  I didn't just copy
the /etc/passwd file because I wanted to preserve some of the default
logins that Debian gives, and I also had to snarf the passwords out of
/etc/shadow.

In the past, I have also copied passwords from HP-UX, Sun OS, and SGI
machines to my Dell machine, so I would say that all of these systems
must use the same format.

-wayne