Re: Netscape Library Error (netscape without .deb)

> > > XKEYSYMDB='/usr/local/lib/netscape/XKeysymDB'; export XKEYSYMDB
> > > XNLSPATH='/usr/local/lib/netscape/nls'; export XNLSPATH
> >
> > Do those XKeysymDB and XNLSPATH really provide something useful or have
> > you used them only because they are provided ?
>
> The following info has been in the Netscape README file since at least
> version 1.12N. It used to say "SunOS 4.1, Linux, and BSDI:", but Linux was
> taken out of the title during the 3.0 beta releases. The cut and paste
> error certainly occured for me back with v1.1, and was fixed by installing
> the NLS stuff as indicated in the README. I haven't quoted the details of
> the NLS installation.

Actually, the XKeysymDB that comes with Linux is more advanced than the
one distributed with Netscape.  Thus, pointing the env var to the one
that comes with the netscape distribution is actually a detriment.

The "nls" problem is a bit different.  If not set properly, a paste into
one of the text fields will cause netscape to crash.  Again, the "nls"
that comes with linux is fine.  Netscape just needs to know where to
find it.  By default, it look under /usr/X386/lib/X11/nls instead of
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/nls.

                                        Brian
                               ( bcwhite@verisim.com )