Debian on a Compaq Prosignia 4/66

We were just given a Compaq Prosignia 4/66 with 40 MB RAM and a 1.05 GB
SCSI drive to user as a DB Server.  Our preference is to run it under
Linux.  However, it has a built-in SCSI controller.  So far we have
tried
Debian 1.1, 1.1.6, and all of the Debial 2.0.5 alternate boot disks with
no luck in detecting and working with the SCSI controller...

DOS does work on the system as did Novell 3.12.  The system arrived
without
documentation.  So far the email to Compaq asking for the SCSI
controller
equivalent has not been answered.

Any suggestions?

TIA,